Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 16 - Louies Pier


Day 16- Louies Pier 8 x 10 Oil on Panel.
Day 16 of 30 - Sir Lawrence Color Temperature Mastery.
Today I spent a couple of hours painting a boat scene but it
just wasn't working. I had about an hour left so I decided to
do a value study using cad red light, ultramrine blue and white.
I was happy with the results of this sketch. Once it dries I can
go back and paint the correct colors. This kind of experimenting
is really valuable as you are using a mix of dark, med, and light
values to paint the scene. I like the atmospheric perspective in
this painting as you can see that the foreground, middle ground and
background are seperate values. One thing I would do to improve this
painting would be do darken the front of the shelter as it should be
part of the darkest area closest to you. I also like this painting because
I was really loose with the brushwork and didn't try to make a perfect
picture. It pretty much painted itself. TRY THIS LESSON TODAY!!!!

No comments: