Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 15 - Boatyard


Boatyard - 8x10 Oil on Panel.
Day 15 of 30 - Sir Lawrence Color Temperature Mastery.
Today I struggled with this painting. It took awhile to get the drawing
of the sailboat to look right. I can draw boats really well with a
pencil or marker, but when I have the brush in my hand it is
hard to control. Because I spent so much time on the boat the
rest of the picture suffered because it is too detailed for what I'm
trying to accomplish. After painting for two weeks straignt I can't
believe I'm out there with my bad habits. I'm going to tape the words
color temperature on my easel and see if that helps. I only have two
weeks to go and concerned if I'm going to be able to master the
color temperatures. The color in the original doesent have so much
blue in it. To make this a better painting I would put the pilings in
a darker shadow color. I would also soften the edges of the building
to the left. The tree could use a little variety in the colors and add
some darker bluer areas. And finally add some white hilights to the top
of the boat.

No comments: