Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 13 - Harbor Patrol Boat


Today my ground was a used canvas. (pictured above)


Day 13 - Harbor Patrol Boat - 8 x 10 Oil on Panel.
Day 13 of 30 - Sir Lawrence Color Temperature Mastery.
Today was a pretty good day. I was able to setup and get right
to business. I've painted this boat before but today was different
because I was focused on color temperatures. The painting took me
2 hours including 1 total wipeout. I wasn't happy with the first design
because I made the boat too small. This painting could be improved
here at the studio but that would defeat the purpose of painting outside.
My goal is to be able to paint a scene on the spot and not rework in the
studio. This does two things for me. 1. There is no second chance to
"fix" the painting which results in a highly focused painting session.
Number 2. I have to really think about the most efficient and simple
way to paint a scene without getting bogged down into a lot of details.

No comments: